Welcome to the home of Australia’s #1 fiercely independent financial analysis and advice.
Welcome to the home of the Barefoot Investor.
Here, we live by a few key beliefs:
- Anyone – no matter their income – can take control of their finances, save enough money to handle any emergency, and create enough wealth to treat themselves at the same time. Anyone.
- Taking control of your finances doesn’t have to be difficult – and you don’t need a bunch of high-priced advisors to do it. Follow a few simple, common-sense guidelines – which you can find right here – and you’ll be on your way!
- Contrary to popular opinion, making your money behave itself doesn’t have to be boring, or painful, or a long, drawn-out process you’ll spend 50 years perfecting. You can start seeing results as soon as next month – and if you’re not having fun doing it, we’re doing something wrong.
So much of money feels like it’s hidden behind walls of stuffed shirts and expensive wingtips. It is. I should know – I’ve spent a lot of time behind those walls.
But it doesn’t have to be that way and, in fact, I think it shouldn’t be that way.
And that’s why I’m the Barefoot Investor. Finances shouldn’t be about three piece vests or – and I’m not kidding, I’ve seen it – gold pocket watches. Finances – when done right – should be about freedom.
You’ve made an important first step – just by coming here. Now relax, stick around awhile.
In this website you’ll find everything you need, to show your bottom line who’s boss. That includes…
- Calculators and tools to help you see where your money really goes each month, and to help you forecast it’s potential to take your further.
- All sorts of free reports – starting with my favorite: the Common-Sense Path to Financial Freedom. In it, you’ll get all sorts of tidbits – from how to get every one of your cars for free, to the secrets that financial planners keep from their clients, to the best way to set up your money on autopilot so you can spend less time worrying about your finances and more time opening all the doors that have popped up in front of you.
- A number of resources that can help you re-imagine and reinvent your entire financial life. Whether you want to Rule Your Retirement, Kickstart Your Career or Build Your Own Business, we’ve got it all.
- Access to our Barefoot Blueprint- our very own investment analysis newsletter, which provides easy to understand, no-nonsense advise for people looking to invest for the long-term. Investment portfolio’s aren’t just for 6-figure income earners.
- Tips and tricks to keep up your sleeve – In my ‘personal’ financial blog, I take you through the news of the day, simple financial tips you can use immediately, and the secrets I learned working on the other side of the desk. If anything I just hope that you can kick back with a cuppa and have a chuckle while you learn something new.
- My reader mailbag – where I answer all sorts of questions about any financial issue you can imagine. Trust me – if it’s ever happened (or ever might), I’ve heard about it, and dealt with it. And here’s where I talk about it.
Wait a tick – who am I, anyway? And why should you give a toss?
Glad you asked. My name is Scott Pape – though you probably know me as The Barefoot Investor. I started life on a small farm in Ouyen, moved to the big city to work in high finance, only to realise that what I wanted most, was to go back. I got sick of how financial ‘insiders’ treated their clients in the Big Smoke pretty quick and decided that if I was to be happy – I needed to live life my own way – the Barefoot way.
I saw people like my Mum and Dad, my Sister and her kids, and my friends who were all fresh out of uni and keen to start making a life for themselves, were being taken for every dollar they earned. I decided the teach them what I knew from working with wealthy people and saw them start to save some money, achieve their goals and become happy, resilient people.
The feeling was infectious. And I love a challenge. So I quit my ‘respectable’ job, firmly took up ground on the other side of the trench – across from the banks, credit unions, loan sharks, fund-managers and shonky property investors – and have never looked back.
I wrote my book The Barefoot Investor’s 5 steps to Financial Freedom, which then allowed me (one step at a time) to build my own Barefoot Investor business. From my office (and my farm, where I am now joined by my own small family), I plan to use my power for good – not evil – and I developed this site to equip you with everything you need to make yourself debt-free and financially secure. It’s free for you to use as much or as little as you like.
Because the thing is this: there is plenty of room in this trench. The more people in our community who are financially secure, the better for our society, our schools, our charities, our businesses and our well-being.
I believe the secrets to financial freedom are all in these pages. And that’s what being a Barefoot Investor is really all about.
I hope, by the time you leave today, you can take one thing away with you, which will help you live a life that makes you happy. Enjoy!